La Cholla Blvd. Improvements
The La Cholla Blvd. improvements from Magee Road to Tangerine Road are part of the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) plan approved by Pima County voters in 2006. The improvements are being executed in two phases with Phase I of the widening improvements, from Magee Road to Overton Road, having been completed in spring of 2014.
La Cholla Blvd. Phase II – Overton Road to Tangerine Road
The design of the Phase II La Cholla Boulevard improvements, from Overton Road to Tangerine Road, is underway. The northern 80% of the roadway is located in the Town of Oro Valley with the remaining 20% being located in unincorporated Pima County. The project improvements, managed by the Town of Oro Valley, will reduce congestion, improve safety and provide additional capacity for future traffic demands.
Improvements in this phase will include:
- Widening to four lanes
- A landscaped median
- Turn lanes and traffic signals
- One-way frontage road for residential access
- Bicycle lanes, multi-use paths and ADA facilities
- Drainage improvements
- Wildlife crossings
- Retaining walls
The Town of Oro Valley has contracted with AECOM Technical Services Inc. to provide final design and environmental services for the Phase II Overton to Tangerine project. The design phase is expected to be complete at the end of 2016/early 2017, with construction to begin in mid-2017, if the necessary funding becomes available.